Monday, November 15, 2010

The First Post.

This should be the sign out front of Fox News.  I swear, their viewers
wouldn't even notice it.


Ever wonder why people do the crazy shit they do?  Or say?  I know I do.  I've been roaming this beautiful planet of ours for almost 21 years now, and I can easily say that the majority of humankind is psychotic.  I have to admit, sometimes I enjoy it.  There is a special place in my heart reserved for people that ask stupid questions, and say stupid things.  But there is, I think, a fine line between those people, and the others.



Who are the others?  People that actually get listened to.  People that say things like, "The extent to which he can recover seems to me dependent on his faith.  He is said to be a Buddhist. I don't think that faith offers the kind of forgiveness and redemption that is offered by the Christian faith. My message to Tiger would be, 'Tiger, turn to the Christian faith and you can make a total recovery and be a great example to the world'."  Yes, that was Brit Hume from Fox News talking about Tiger Woods a few months ago.  My main issue with that falls under three categories...

1) Buddhism is not a religion, it is a philosophy- a way of life.
2) Christians, Mr. Hume, are no better than anyone else on this planet.
3) Brit Hume is a jackass.

 This is Brit Hume.  I know he looks like he just saw boobs for the first time, 
but don't let that dumbass stare fool you.  It's his normal face.



And by the way, if you watch Fox News, this isn't the blog for you.  You'll find very quickly that I am a rational thinker, and if you're an avid Fox News fan, well, let's just say Rationality Street isn't an avenue that you're ready for just yet.  Try Lunatic Lane down by Fearmongering Way.

Let's face it, people on television have a lot of pull in this country.  Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, the crew of Fox and Friends, and...ah, hell, everyone else at Fox News love to connect the dots in ways that cause the most fear.  These are just some of "the others" I mentioned above.  And they have a collective intelligence of a really smart lab rat.

Example... 

I would say this photo was taken at an inappropriate time, but I was
surprised to find out that it's hard NOT to find Glenn Beck like this at any point in the day.


Not too long ago, Glenn Beck (who I am just sure I will mention regularly) did a show where he talked about a big conspiracy theory to take over the world.  And who did ol' Glenn target?  An 80 year old, Jewish Holocaust survivor....I'll let that sink in for just a moment.

The man that Beck targeted was George Soros, a liberal philanthropist that donates the big bucks to charities quite often.  Soros has, to my knowledge, been accused of such things before by conservatives for several years now, but nothing has ever stuck.  Huh.  I wonder why.  Either way, I am floored by the amount of people that listen to and agree with Glenn Beck on a daily basis.  The man's a goddamn nutcase.  People, he thinks he can hear God talking to him.  Does that make him a psycho?  No.  See, I have a very atheistic view of religion, but I would be willing to accept if someone said that they heard God, so long as they were doing good things and nothing but good things every day of the year.  But Glenn Beck doesn't do good things.  He does bad things, and says bad things that people who truly believed in the Christian God wouldn't do or say.

My point is, you shouldn't believe everything you hear in the instant you hear it.  Go out and find stuff out for yourself.  We have the internet now.  If some asshole like Brit Hume suggests that Buddhism cannot offer the same kind of forgiveness and redemption that Christianity can, don't say, "Shit, he's right!  Christianity IS better than Buddhism!"  Go out and do your own research.  You know what you'll find?  That you can be BOTH.  Buddhism, in no way, conflicts with Christianity.  So, chew on that tidbit for awhile (but don't take my word for it!)

Crazy people saying crazy things is beginning to dominate the media.  The extreme find themselves in the spotlight more and more, and I really don't think that's a good thing.  Sure, it was funny for awhile, but let's cut it out, okay?  Let's just knock it off.  We already created a monster out of Sarah Palin (who was already one to begin with).  Do we really want another one of HER running around?   No?  I didn't think so.

 I'd rather have Death wink at me.

I am, I hope, not scaring everyone off at once (although I'm sure the Sarah Palin picture didn't help).  Not all of my future posts will be like this, but as I write, I tend to get riled up.  Sometimes I go completely off subject.  I do my best to wrangle it back in towards the end, for everyone's benefit.  I hope you enjoyed this first post, and there will be much more to come!

1 comment:

Eileen said...

I particularly enjoyed the caption under Brit Hume's picture :)