Friday, March 23, 2012

Kirk Cameron Should Be Ignored.


Kirk Cameron.  Had it not been for my brief exposure to the show "Growing Pains" when I was very little, I would have absolutely no clue who this guy is.  As it should be.

Cameron, as you may remember, came under fire recently after telling Piers Morgan his view towards homosexuality: "I think that it's - it's - it's unnatural. I think that it's - it's detrimental, and ultimately destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization."

He then turned around and acted like Piers Morgan ambushed him, claiming that the interview was supposed to be about his movie.  Controversial celebrity, meet journalist.  Journalist, meet controversial celebrity.  What the fuck did you think was going to happen, Cameron? 

Dildo-a-tude aside, Cameron - like every other human being on planet Earth - has the right to his own opinion.  But he voiced that opinion on national television.  His opinion, then, might as well be a wounded zebra on the plains of the Serengeti.  He really shouldn't be acting so butt hurt.  Cameron had to have known the firestorm that those comments would start (unless he's been living in a cave).  The smart route would have been to say, "No comment, Piers."

Most fans of the old sitcom "Growing Pains" are aware of the actor's beliefs.  A few seasons into the show, Kirk Cameron (who previously identified himself as an atheist) became a born-again Christian.  Nothing wrong with that.  However, he then refused to do any plot that was sinful or immoral, and urged the show's writers to take on a soft, Christian attitude.  His conversion combined with his star power and teenage attitude of "I know everything and I'm always right" caused quite a bit of a stir on the set with everyone from the director to his fellow actors. 

This doesn't surprise me.  I can only imagine how annoying it must have been to have this uppity seventeen-year-old assclown (far too big for his britches) follow me around telling me how I was living a life of sin (gasp!).

The guy isn't all that bad, though.  He does have a charity known as The Firefly Foundation that helps terminally ill children.  Not mentioning that would be wrong on my part.

Still, I say that we get back to ignoring Cameron.  His moment was in the late '80's.  Let's leave it there, huh?  I don't subscribe to the idea of making someone feel special just because they were once a teen "sensation."  I use that word loosely.  I personally think that if he were to shave his head and put on some white robes, he'd make a convincing cult leader.  He already has a great ministry name for it:  The Way of The Master.

Yup, that's real.


       

No comments: